Saline County Aging Services is taking names of those interested in applying for farmers market coupons through the Seniors Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program.
The SFMNP strives to improve the diet of participants, promoting good health to help them maintain independence.
To qualify for SFMNP coupons, Saline County residents must:
• be 60 years of age or older.
• meet income guidelines. Households cannot exceed the following:
• for a one-person household $23,106.50 per year or $1,925.54 per month.
• two-person household, $31,283.50 per year or $2,606.95 per month.
• attend a mandatory but brief nutrition presentation.
• be prepared to show proof of age and income.
Coupons will be given on a first come, first served basis.
SCAS will receive 35 sets of coupons. People will be put on a waiting list for extra coupons if or when they become available.
The coupons will be available in June and one set will be issued per qualifying household.
A set consists of 16 coupons with a face value of $3 per coupon or $48 per set. Coupons can be redeemed from any SFMNP vendor for any locally grown raw or fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs and pure, unprocessed honey.
People who reserved a set of coupons will be notified of the dates and times available to attend the nutrition presentation and receive their coupons.
The SFMNP is a partnership between the United States Department of Agriculture, the state of Nebraska, farmers markets and area agencies on aging.
For more information, or to apply for coupons, call Saline County Aging Services at (402) 821-3330, or 1-800-778-3309.